Dr. Toa Charm
BSC, MBA, DBA, CBIP (TDWI), AI AND BIG DATA CERT. (MIT), MHKCS
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF PRACTICE IN MANAGEMENT, CUHK;
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT, THE ASIA-PACIFIC INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS
- Prof. Charm has over 30 years of management, marketing, entrepreneurship, consulting and executive education experience in innovation and technology industry. He held senior management positions in leading multinational, Hong Kong and mainland enterprises including Cyberport, HSBC, IBM, Oracle, Kingdee and Jardine Pacific. Prof. Charm is currently an associate professor in CUHK Business School where he cultivates the next generation of digital leaders and entrepreneurs. He also chairs and advises a few elite AI/Big Data and FinTech start-ups in Asia.
- Prof. Charm has been actively cultivating the start-ups ecosystem in Hong Kong and Asia. When he was the Chief Public Mission Officer of Hong Kong Cyberport, Prof. Charm led his team to establish and cultivate a world-leading digital tech ecosystem in Hong Kong with 1,200+ digital tech companies from 30+ countries where 300+ are FinTech companies and at least 3 are unicorns now. He was the Head Judge of 2019 HK ICT Awards – FinTech Award as well as the final judge of the most influential start-ups competitions such as MIT Technology Review Innovators Under 35 APAC, Alibaba JumpStarter, HSBC x HKET Innovative Business Award, Elevator Pitch, TechCrunch, etc.
- Prof. Charm specialises in AI/Big Data, FinTech, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Digital Strategy, Leadership and Transformation. He has been empowering enterprises to transform to the digital economy in various ways. It includes advising senior management on digital transformation, bringing in innovations from start-ups to match corporate needs, co-organizing innovation labs, accelerators, competitions and hackathons with corporates, and delivering best practices training to corporates.
- Prof. Charm serves the community and industry through participating in professional and business associations. It includes Hong Kong Institute of Bankers, Hong Kong Retail Management Association, Hong Kong Consumer Council, Hong Kong GS1, Institute of Financial Technologists of Asia, CityU, HKTDC, HKGCC, Dongguan High-Tech Industry Association, Taipei Foundation of Finance, Malaysia MDEC, Macao UST, etc.
- Prof. Charm received 2018 Outstanding Doctor of Business Administration Alumni Award from the CityU and 2015 Best Teacher Award from Institute for China Biz, HKU SPACE. He also completed senior executive programmes from Harvard and UC-Berkeley, and AI/Big Data programme from MIT.