The program will be held from 12 October to 4 December 2020, and is divided into two parts. Part I consists of one week of classroom learning and individual mentorship by the program coaches and technical experts. Part II consists of six-weeks of independent customer discovery with weekly check-ins, and a final two days of classrooom learning, team presentations, and the "Collaboratorium"
Part I (Week 1: 12 to 17 October 2020)
All participants meet at either The Hong Kong Jockey Club University of Chicago Academic Complex | The University of Chicago Francis and Rose Yuen Campus in Hong Kong and the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shatin campus or CUHK Business School Town Centre) to attend a series of lectures from 8:30am to 6pm including breakfast, lunch, and breaks from Monday to Saturday of Week 1(23-28 March). There is a welcome cocktail reception and dinner on Monday, 23 March, which is mandatory for participants.
- Entrepreneurship 101
- Opportunity Identification
- Planning/ Estimating the Resource Requirements
- Intellectual Property and Licensing
- Legal Protection and IP Law in Hong Kong and China
- Customer Discovery
- Design Thinking
- Business Model Canvas
- Understanding your Customer & Market Segmentation
- Getting to Product-Market Fit
- Sizing the Market
- Technology Commercialization
- Milestone Financing in Science and Technology
- Elevator Pitch and Presentation Skills Workshop
- Deep Dives with Technical and Commercial Experts
- Experiential workshop
All participants will be paired with a coach for the program. Consultation sessions with the coaches provide participants with an opportunity to discuss their ventures with relevant mentors and solicit feedback and advice throughout the process.
Part II (Weeks 2-8: 19 October to 4 December 2020)
Six-week Independent Experiential Learning (19 October to 27 November 2020)
Participants will independently conduct customer discovery interviews and continue to develop their ventures. Over the course of the six weeks, participants will:
- Conduct 25 customer discovery interviews
- Meet with their coaches for weekly check-ins
- Connect with their mentors
Note: There will not be any classroom sessions.
Classroom Learning (3-4 December 2020)
All participants meet at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shatin campus) to attend two days of lectures.
- Identifying Sources of Funding and Meeting with Investors
- Reevaluating the Business Model Canvas
- New Market Entry Strategy
Team Presentation (3-4 December 2020)
All participants present the key findings from their customer discovery to their cohort and the program instructors at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shatin campus).
All participants pitch their projects to alumni and members of local universities, investors, and enterprises in Hong Kong, and from the US, and select members of the public at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shatin campus). This final presentation allows for participants to connect with local professionals with relevant business acumen that may be able to help them move forward with commercializing their technology and launching their venture.
October 12-17, 2020
- Classroom Learning
- Individual mentorship with coaches and technical experts
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club University of Chicago Academic Complex | The University of Chicago Francis and Rose Yuen Campus in Hong Kong and CUHK Shatin campus, CUHK Business School Town Centre
Weeks 2 - 7
October 19 - November 27, 2020
- Experiential learning through customer discovery interviews
- Check-ins with coaches
No classroom meeting
December 3-4, 2020
- Classroom learning
- Team Presentation
- CUHK Shatin campus